
In the true spirit of Valentines Day, knowing in my heart of hearts that it is probably the most commercialized holiday outside of Christmas, I have decided in true un-jaded style to celebrate it this year. The shame...the shame... I know. But in my defense I have decided to go about it un-commercially, and in my own creative way. I want to celebrate my love for my guy, but I don't feel like I should have to go out and spend $85. on a bouquet of roses, or some kind of expensive trinket in the same spirit. Doug and I will probably go out and have a nice dinner, and nothing more... Well, there will be more later at home, but...I digress.
So, in celebration of the real meaning of the holiday that most of us still have to drag our butts out of bed and go to work for, I have decided to make this a post of the 25 greatest love songs of all time. Actually this will be one of a three-part series of songs. The first being, obviously the love songs, the second...the funniest songs, and the third...the worst songs of all time. I am encouraging all of you to comment at will if you feel I have left any great songs off, and later I will revise the lists and update later with one big mother of posts...let's see how many songs we can come up with together, shall we?
So now...with no further ado...The Greatest Love Songs Of All Time.
(In my ever-humble opinion)
(In no particular order)
1. These Arms Of Mine- Otis Redding (1962)
A touching, pleading, mama-please-come-home ballad. Redding sings this with such passion and longing it makes you want to be the girl he is singing about everytime you hear it.
2. You are so Beautiful- Joe Cocker (1974)
Every woman, whether she is in fact, beautiful or not- wants to hear that she is, in fact beautiful, from time to time. They especially want to hear it from the man they love. This speaks to all women for that purpose. If you can get past the visual of Joe Cocker's continuous full body spasm as he is singing it, you will long to hear it yourself.
3. Nothing Compares To You- Sinead O'Connor (1990)
Yes, she ripped up a picture of the pope, yes, she alienated herself from 3/4 of the world when she did it, but no matter how you personally feel about this bi-polar chick, she killed it when she belted out this song. The video is AMAZING, and truthful and heartfelt. She was never acting in it, and it was apparent. The blatant sadness in her voice makes you want to crawl under your blankey and cry for the "one that got away." Written by Prince in 1987, his b-side release never did much, but Sinead made it the hit it was, touching the soul of every woman who had ever lost love along the way. Great song...period.
4. Purple Rain-Prince (1984)
Speaking of the purple passion, this song wailed. The guitar phrasing, the pain, the reality of the second coming of Jimi Hendrix was the totality of why this song was so huge. To this day, Prince is my favorite star of the "me" decade. I still have this album on vinyl and will as long as I live.
5. What You Give- Tesla (1992)
At the fall of the hair bands and the rise of grunge there were still a few jamming arena rockers left out there releasing power ballads and doing well with those of us who refused to accept the takeover of Nirvana. This song is a jam, but that's not the reason I adore it so. My reasoning is simply lyrical. Give it a listen if you haven't heard it...it's great cheezy poetry.
6. If Not For You- Bob Dylan (1970)
Yeah...I was just a sparkle in my mums eye when this song was released, but how can anyone deny the poetic genius that personifies Dylan? Again, I was never into this song based sheerly on the music or the movement...it's a lyrical thing. Fantastic poetry.
7. Baby I Love Your Way- Peter Frampton (1975)
I Feel like you do baby! I do I do!!!!!
8. Let's Stay Together- Al Green (1971)
Before he was a reverend, he was a songwriter of unlimited talent and passion. This song makes me want to get up and groove everytime I listen to it. A staple on my Ipod.
9. Something- The Beatles (1969)
How ironic that this song was released in 69...cause it just makes me wanna "do it" I could do without the wah wah feeling of the music at times, but nevertheless, it's still a beautifully written and composed song with soft and sweet melodies.
10. All I Want Is You- U2 (1988)
Talk about appeal. Poingnant and sad and a bit heartbreaking to listen to, it makes you yearn for something, anything...A great song, with sweet, cascading melodies, and folksy guitar riffs. Bono's penchant for the dramatic also made it a great video to watch.
11. At Last- Etta James (1961)
This is my favorite love song of all time. Etta was overhsadowed in her time by names like: Diana Ross and Aretha Franklin, but her demure and classy crooning could never be thought upon as second-best. Compared to Billie Holiday by many critics, this lady really gets the pain right in every song she sang. She sang with such heartfelt emotion and deep throaty tones, you would swear she was weeping. This song makes you feel, and always will.
12. She's Got A Way- Billy Joel (1971)
Billy's cult following has given New York State Of Mind and Piano Man the beef in his career, but for my money I'll take his poetic songs over his storytellings anyday. I mean, what woman can resist being described like this? I always imagine him sitting there in a lonely bar, dishing to the bartender after too many manhattans about this girl...this woman who totally has him wrapped around her finger. It's wonderful when a guy loves you this much...a fabulous song in every aspect.
13. First Time Ever I Saw Your Face- Roberta Flack (1972)
Sappy, yes...for guys...nope. But thinking of a guy saying these things to a woman? Priceless.
14. If I Fell- The Beatles (1964)
Yes, the boys from Birmingham get two nods on my list. Admittedly, I am not that big of a Beatles fan, but they could write a love song. McCartney and Lennon together were magic, and even apart did some righteous tunes. I like this song for it's sweet catchiness. I find myself humming it a lot while I write. Maroon 5 does an absolutely wonderful acoustic cover of this song as well, I think you can find it on I Tunes.
15. In Your Eyes- Peter Gabriel (1986)
Who can forget the image of John Cusack standing in the rain with his everpresent boom box over his head in the movie "Say Anything"? So unbelieveably sweet, humble and endearing. The song has it's own chops though. The lyrics are so prose-worthy I am sure they have been recited as a few thousand wedding vows in my time. Gabriel's voice has never been a favorite of mine, as it has always sounded a little canned, but who can resist this synth and percussion-based 80's trademark?
16. Unchained Melody- The Righteous Brothers (1965)
Let's go in the way-back machine for this song. Sappy, sentimental, and a heart melting lyrical masterpiece, it earned new notoriety in the 80's on the soundtrack of the movie "Ghost". I wanted to learn ceramics for a decade after I watched that movie. Nothing like a little dirt to get the heart pumpin!
17. Just The Way You Are- Billy Joel (1976)
Ah yes...Billy gets a second nod as well. Anyone who has watched "Bridget Jones' Diary" might correlate the song and the movie, and the message "Don't Go Changin..." This is a song with a great message for all women out there with any kind of self esteem issues. The fact that Billy was so open about accepting of the love in his life just as she is and nothing more- makes my heart melt everytime.
18. Colorblind- Counting Crows (1999)
Haunting piano melodies, and sadness. Adam Duritz's vocals on this song are amazing. This song speaks volumes of vunerability. The shocking admission of a man being ready for love in his life and getting over past pain relates to almost every woman, and even men.
19. Crash Into Me- Dave Matthews Band (1996)
This song gets my vote for second place behind Etta. The classical composition of this song alone makes is extremely noteworthy. The floating melodies and the sweet slow harmonies coupled with Dave Matthews quirky mischevious vocals make for a masterpiece. This is the song I want played as I walk down the aisle (Yeah..like that'll happen) But anyway...here's to wishing.
20. I'll Be- Edwin McCain (1998)
Just listen to this guy proclaim what he will be to his lady love...so amazing.
21. Wonderful Tonight- Eric Clapton (1978)
Once proclaimed a God by his fans, old slow hand gets it right here as well. Amazing guitar riffs, and a great little story being told here.
22. Don't Wanna Miss A Thing- Aerosmith (1998)
"I could stay awake, just to hear you breathing..." Ahhhh....melt melt. Sentiment filled fluff, my favey!
23. When A Man Loves A Woman- Percy Sledge (1966)
Another "baby please" song... So much angst and description here. Just makes you wanna throw your panties on stage.
24. God Only Knows- The Beach Boys (1966)
Catchy, sweet, and lyrical. This song doesn't fall under traditional sappy notes, but the upbeat style of the song makes you smile in spite of yourself. Lyrically, a guy professing this to his significant other makes anyone want this kind of seemingly perfect relationship.
25. Iris- The Goo Goo Dolls (1997)
Another soundtrack song from the hit movie "City of Angels". I will sum up this song by quoting one line of it's lyrics- "And I'd give up forever to touch you..."
Ah...Just stunningly sweet.
So this is the list...I think a pretty well rounded one that represents, R&B, Blues, Soul, Rock, and Pop. There are way too many good country songs to add to the list so I excluded that genre for now. Perhaps that will be a list for later...who knows.
Let me know if you have any that you think I left off unfairly.
Before you do that though...I left off Elvis Presley's- "Love Me Tender" for a reason...I just don't like it...it's annoying. Don't ask me why...I have just never been a fan of "The King." So, before I get a complaint about that one...now you know why.
Everyone, have a great week and wish me luck on my algebra exam on Weds! UGHHHH!!!
Last thought-
"Music makes one feel so romantic - at least it always gets on one's nerves - which is the same thing nowadays."
-Oscar Wilde
-Oscar Wilde
Listening-
Jaded
Comments
You Owe Me Nothing in Return by Alansi Morissette.