Today I ran across something on Youtube that I had forgotten about for years, but directly applies to my Boy Scouts post a few days ago....For those of you who are too young, or perhaps unawares- back in the mid seventies there was an actress/singer by the name of Anita Bryant. Anita was a B-list celeb really, and never had a career of any validity except a comercial campaign for Florida oranges. Needless to say, she wasn't much to write home about.
Speaking of campaign...Anita was a staunch leader against homosexuals. Bible beater that she was, she openly spoke out on a daily basis about her loathing of the homosexual lifestyle. She was essentially a tight-assed beotch with FAR FAR too much time on her hands and a desperate need for publicity.
I was born in the seventies, the early seventies...but I clearly remember those hack-style comercials for her crappy oranges, and her plastic hair and battered beauty-queen style. I remember even as a little kid thinking: what a *&#@!
Anyone around for the seventies knows that the homosexual lifestyle was becoming a revolution in that era. The bath houses, Studio 69, The Castro (The gay club...not the dictator), and the horrible assassination of Harvey Milk and George Moscone )the mayor of San Francisco.)
This was a time of closets being kicked down completely rather than just being stepped out of.
Anita was pissed.
This "in your face" liberation of gays and lesbians was far too much for the likes of people like Bryant, and Billy Graham...so in scary retaliation- things like proposition #6 came about (the law preventing homosexuals from teaching in publicly-funded school systems), the fight night riots in San Fran, (1978) and general "You're going to hell!" preach-fests.
The charge was led by the above stated people and eventually...in some non-violent way...they got what was comin' to em'
Please see this link. Perhaps the funniest shit I have EVER seen:
BULLSEYE BEOTCH!
The point I am getting to here?
I have decided to not let Bubba participate in the Boy Scouts...mostly to stop the ignorance of people like this dried up old wench. The attitude...the blatant smart ass comments.
I mean listen to what she says after the guy throws the pie...and I quote: "Well, at least it's a fruit pie!"
This is what I mean...
I couldn't make this stuff up, kids.
And yes, before anybody brings it up...I know that this is the 21st century, and that was 1978...but honestly, I can't see much of a distinction between the attitudes of now and then. People just hide it better that they used to, that's all. The haters have just become hypocrites...and to me...that's a much worse thing to be.
So that is the verdict.
I have decided to take PH's advice and enroll him in Tae Kwon Do instead.
I will take him camping all on my own.
That being said...I can't wait to go camping! ;o)
Last thought-
"His ignorance covered the whole earth like a blanket, and there was hardly a hole in it anywhere..."
-Mark Twain
-Mark Twain
Happy Birthday to me-
Jaded
UPDATE:
Something I just found out and did not know...
DEFINE IRONY:
Anita Bryant's son is gay.
Wow...real life comedy there, ya'll.
AWESOME.
As Earl says: "You're ridin' the karma train now, baby..."
That is all.
Comments