Skip to main content

To kerchief...or not to kerchief...THAT is the question...

Tonight Bubba and I splurged on some Ci-Ci's Pizza in Pekkkin. (That's misspelled on purpose...I loathe Pekin...that for another post) Anyway, just so all of you know, I got my bills paid. My phone should remain on, my cable is paid. SO...all that's left to worry about is the car insurance/payment/and tags. Narrowly escaped...whew.
BUT...

That's not what this post is about.




Like I said, we splurged on pizza buffet with my leftover $15. and we had an "interesting" conversation.

Bubba asked me if he could be in boy scouts.

UH OH.

I have very strong feelings about this, and quite frankly I am torn.

On one hand, Bubba may actually learn some discipline in the scouts, and some very practical skills he can use later in life. They say it's "character building" but, I'm not so sure of the kind of "character" it really builds in actuality.
You see, the scouts are openly discriminatory against homosexuals. They make no bones about their beliefs being a "christian" organization.

Hmmmm....

Since when did bigotry and hatred become "christian" standards?
Oh wait...isn't that the standard of christianity? (sorry, I had to add some "meow" mix...couldn't resist)

Anyway, I have a MAJOR problem with this line of thinking.
I would like my child to understand the basic philosophy of leadership, integrity, and honor...but is it truly honorable to say that it's ok to keep someone out because of their sexual orientation?
I could go on a major rant here, but I will only state the following obvious points:

1. All gay men are not necessarily pedophiles.
2. Gay men are still inherently men, and are able to lead young men the same as a straight man can.
3. Being around a homosexual does not make you a homosexual.

This goes back to the nature vs. nurture debate that has long since been talked about around the family bible for years and years.
I have no problem with telling you how I believe it to be:
A person is BORN homosexual...not made that way...period.

The issue is not whether homosexuality is right or wrong--whether it's moral or immoral--it has to do with this issue of alleged discrimination, and who, in fact, has the high moral ground.
My point is this:

This is not about discrimination.
That is not what this is really about.
It's about moral clarity.

So...getting to my real point.

Do I stand my ground and tell Bubba "absolutely not" and the reasons why?

OR

Do I tell him about the reasons first (if he is even able to truly understand at 7 years old) and then let him make the decision for himself, hoping he will do the right thing?

OR

Do I just let him do it and keep my beliefs to myself?

Option three is really not in me, quite frankly...I am ALOT of things, but I am NO hypocrite.

I even talked to my brother about it since his 8 year old son is heavily active in cub scouts, and he gave the garden variety wealthy right wing reply:
"Why would you want your son to be lead by a gay guy? Aren't you afraid that he'll "do something" to him?"
I swear, I am not making this up...

And I was truly surprised to find that most of the people I asked had the same answer.
WTF????
Are we really that ignorant?

As a parent, I really want to do right by my son and allow him to be involved in all the positive activities that this world has to offer. I do not want to limit his possibilities. Sheltering a child too much can ultimately damage them. I know this.
I know that letting him learn to make his own decisions in life (to a point, of course) even at this early age is imperative. Learning to trust him and his decisions is an integral part of life experience and growing up.

But...

I feel like just allowing him to do it without completely understanding the bigger picture of this organization is becoming a traitor to my beliefs, and hopefully as he grows...his beliefs.
I'm just not sure what to do here...

Ahh...parenting inexperience...gotta love it.

Last thought-
"Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we personally dislike..."
~Oscar Wilde

On my honor-
Jaded










Comments

Rixblix said…
We actually had the same issue with out boys. And we didn't let them participate. When they first wanted to, we just told them no, they have lots of other things going on and scouts just doesn't fit into the schedule. The bottom line is that I won't pour money into that organization.

It ended up just fine, they only asked once or twice. Now that they are older, we did tell them why we wouldn't support the BSA and they completely agree.

Don't be afraid to say no. He won't be scarred for life.
Honestly, it depends on the group you are with. My husband is a leader. The group our kids belong to doesn't push religion. There is a section in their book about religion but Brad feels that is up to the parents to discuss their beliefs with their children so the kids work on that section at home.
We also don't sell the popcorn. The majority of the money goes to BSA instead of the group so we sell candy bars and get to use all the profit instead of pennies on the dollar.
Ultimately you will have to make the decision. If you are in the right group it can be a wonderful thing.
Jadedgirl said…
Two suggestions to ponder...thanks, ladies!

HOPE YOU ALL HAD A GREAT MOTHERS DAY!
Michael said…
My suggestion would be to meet with the local leader and simply ask them. I was a scout from age 8 to 16 and loved it. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning either sex or religion but I think that was more because of the local leaders views. We were about fun and camping!
Jadedgirl said…
And that is precisely why this is such a conundrum. I KNOW Bubba would LOVE the Scouts...he's an outdoorsy kid.
But the issue of whether I want to support an organization with such discriminatory crap laced into its message...well...that's where I'm at a loss.

Perhaps I should speak to the local den leader and see what he has to say on the topic.

Thanks Michael...
Glad to see you reading!

I added you to my blogroll.

:o)
Ms. PH said…
I have had this debate myself (and my son is not even a year and a half old yet). So, although I have not been squarely presented with the issue, my stand is absolutely no boy scouts. There are so many other organizations that give kids great experiences without supporting ass-backwards beliefs.

And, while I respect EBB and others when they say it depends on the local group - I am sure that is true. However, I could not reconcile with myself or my children why it is OK to support a local group that is part of the larger group who we disagree with.

If you are looking for an activity to calm him down and channel his energy - I would suggest martial arts instead.

Popular posts from this blog

Laughable...Truly Laughable...

Just a quick little ditty today: I checked the lady's blog today to see if anything else had been copied... No...nothing. I guess she figured she would stop her retarted-ness for now. BUT... I did read something VERY interesting. Apparently this chick who is very "intelligent" and wise beyond her years, and well-versed in EVERYTHING thinks that it is OK to trap her boyfriend into staying with her by letting him go off inside her without a condom. Such wise words... HA. And I'm the dishonest one? Spare me... I won't be going back after today...I just wanted to have one last look to see if she was chilling out. And I wont be commenting either way on her personal life any longer...I guess I just found that interesting. I'll stop with the drama now...I promise. Hope everyone had a fabulous Christmas with their families, and please have a happy and SAFE new years. One love to ALL- Jaded

Not That Girl...

So I have been watching this marathon of wedding-based movies all day today on TBS. And maybe I shouldn't be. Mostly because all at once I love them, and get terribly depressed at the end of them. What exactly is it that depresses me? Let's analyze, shall we? It isn't so much about the marriage part as it is the love, I guess. I grew up thinking that marriage is something that happens to everyone...no matter what. In my sheltered childhood exsistence I guess it never occured to me that some people in the world do NOT get married at all. Some choose it- Some wait too long- and some just weren't meant to find their soulmate (if there is such a thing) My whole marriage fantasy was never about the big party, the head over heels giddy love, the pomp, or anything like that. My marriage fantasy has always, and I mean this...always been about knowing that there is someone out there that "gets" you. There is someone out there that loves you so deeply that they are w...

Just When....

....You thought it was safe. ;o) Yes, my friends...as some will be disapointed and some will be happy...for better or for worse...I have returned. I began another blog, but decided that in the interest of time and for the sheer fact that I am a lazy lazy girl...I will not be going to all the hassle of exporting all of my old posts there. I also have decided that I will not be letting a few petty people out there...and drama stop me from doing this...which I love. Truth be told I miss my friends here...my TRUE friends. So...as I said before...here I am. YAY!!!! BOOOOOO!!!! Whichever side of the coin you fall on there, I could give two shits. I am here because I miss my blog...plain and simple...read or don't, comment or don't. Yep...don't really care either way. So...HI! How is everyone??? LOL. And even cooler...those of you who are thinking to themselves right at this moment that I am quite possibly manic, or even Bi-polar-I don't care about THAT either. TA DAAAAAA!!!!...